I finally sat down and installed iTunes on the new computer and was pleased to find that it found my library from my dead computer. The only problem was that all my music on my old computer was in E:/users/Josh/Music/whateverFolder and on my new computer I just have the 1 partition (because let’s face it – Windows is so jacked up that multiple partitions to conserve data in a catastrophe is a joke) so the files are in C:/users/Josh/Music/SameDirectoryStructure.
Surely this wouldn’t be too difficult, I mean, obviously Apple saw this coming and would give me some super easy way to fix it like a search button. Nope. Ok, maybe if I change one song it will be smart enough to look in the same directory structure for any other song that it can’t locate. Nope again.
I found a few freeware and shareware programs that said they could do the job, no dice there either so I decided to take things into my own hands.
In your iTunes directory you should have a iTunes Music Library.xml file. Make a copy (Always a good idea) and work with the live one. A page wide find and replace from E:/users/ to C:/users did the trick for me. Save it, open up iTunes, and…. It failed miserably.
Turns out that iTunes first looks in the iTunes Library.itl file and if it finds something in there it just overwrites the xml file and never even reads it. To fix that little feature, move iTunes Library.itl to a bak directory, make the changes to the xml file, and then kick up iTunes. This will confuse the hell out of iTunes because now it can’t find anything. Go to File>Library>Import a playlist, navigate to the xml file, load it up and everything will work.